Cork Con FC 1st XV 57 - 10 Nenagh Ormond
Venue: Templehill
Competition: Munster Senior Cup – 2nd Round
Match Report:

With Munster playing Racing in the Heineken Cup, and Munster ‘A’ playing London-Welsh in the B&I Cup, both on Saturday afternoon, there was a consequent absence of some regulars, both spectators and team players, for the 2nd round Munster Senior Cup tie against Nenagh Ormond at Templehill. Munster ‘A’ had taken the services of Constitution players: Liam O’Connor, Rory Burke and Darren O’Shea, while Darren Sweetman and Billy Holland were at Thomond Park.


In the event, Constitution made light of the challenge of the Division 2A side, leading 24-3 at half time, and going on to more than double their tally in the second period. In the next round they will meet Highfield at Templehill on 9th November.


Constitution hit the front early with a slick try by Niall Kenneally who took the scoring pass from Brian Hayes. Tomas Quinlan kicked the conversion. Constitution doubled their advantage in the 16th minute with a try by James Murphy from a line-out take by Sonny Dwyer. Tomas Quinlan again added the conversion and kicked a penalty in the 22nd minute for 17-0.  Evan Mintern scored the third try in the left corner, that Tomas Quinlan again converted from the touchline. Clayton Stewart kicked a penalty for Nenagh in the 40th minute for 24-3 at the interval.


Scrum half Jason Higgins broke from his own 22 in the 49th minute, to release Liam O’Connell, who put Ned Hodson in for the fourth try. Quinlan kicked the conversion, and repeated the feat three minutes later, as Niall Kenneally intercepted and finished from his own 22 metre line, for 38-3. Nenagh full back Eathon Maloney got in at the posts in a rare Nenagh attack in the 56th minute, converted by Stewart for 38-10


But Con struck again on the hour, as Michael Clune scored in the right corner, when he collected a cross-kick by Quinlan. Shane Daly ran in a try in the 68th minute, as Nenagh wilted, and Niall Kenneally converted for 50-10. And finally, Rob Jermyn got in on the act with a long-range score after 75 minutes, for James Murphy to close off the scoring with the conversion.


The other Cup quarter-final results were:

Highfield  w/o        Old Crescent
UCC  5            Cashel  0
Young Munster    50      Shannon 3


The semi-finals pairings, to be played 19th November:

Cork Constitution v Highfield
UCC v Young Munster


C.Harrington MAR.

Con Players:

S.Daly; R.Jermyn, N.Hodson, N.Kenneally Capt., L.O’Connell; T.Quinlan, J.Poland; G.Duffy, M.Abbott, G.Sweeney; E.Mintern, B.Hayes; R.O’Neill, J.Murphy, S.Dwyer. Replacements: G.Roche (3), J.McHenry (2), G.Lawler (6) , C.Barry (5), J.J.O’Neill (13), J.Higgins (9), M.Clune (14).

Con Scorers:

T.Quinlan 1T1P5C; N.Kenneally 1T1C;J.Murphy 1T1C; E.Mintern 1T; N.Hodson 1T; M.Clune 1T; S.Daly 1T; R.Jermyn 1T.

Nenagh Ormond Players:

E.Maloney; J.Melamphey, W.Coffey, D.Corcoran, G.O’Gorman; C.Stewart, P.O’Leary; F.Breslane, J.Healy, J.Coffey; K.O’Gorman, K.O’Flaherty; A.Macken, J.O’Flaherty, K.Quigley. Replacements: A.Doyle, T.McNamara, C.Comerford, C.O’Gorman, D.Mahon, B.Hayes

Nenagh Ormond Scorers:

C.Stewart 1T1P1C

Cork Constitution FC