Cork Con FC 1st XV 57 - 6 Highfield
Venue: Woodleigh Park
Competition: Munster Senior Cup 1st Round
Match Report:

Cork Constitution and Highfield made a little bit of history on Saturday, when they contested the 1st Round of the Munster Senior Cup. It was the first Cup meeting between the clubs at Highfield’s Woodleigh Park ground. When Highfield entered senior ranks in 1952, they first met Constitution in the second round of the Cup at the Mardyke, in which Constitution ran out 21-3 winners. Highfield turned the tables in their next meeting at Musgrave Park in 1958, winning a semi-final encounter 3-0, with a penalty by Finn Buckley. 


The club’s met in memorable finals in 1967 and 1968. Constitution won 6-0 in ’67 after a replay, with two Barry McGann penalties; but Highfield won 11-9 the following year to claim their first Munster Senior Cup. Captained by Joe McDonnell, the team featured Highfield icons in brothers Jim and Denis Dennehy, Tony Loughrey, Mick Leahy, Bunty Ormonde and Terry Moore. A try by Donal Kiely, allied to Loughrey’s goal kicking, saw Highfield score a notable success.


The last Cup meeting between the clubs was in 2007 at Templehill, when Constitution won 29-8. In all, there have fourteen Cup matches between the clubs, with Constitution winning ten, to Highfield’s three, with one drawn.


Constitution fielded eight MSC newcomers for this first round meeting, and they all acquitted themselves with distinction. They led 17-6 by the break, and ran in forty points without reply in the second period, as Highfield’s resistance wilted.


Paddy O’Toole got the first score from a penalty for the home side, but Constitution had tries from Cathal O’Flaherty and John Poland, both converted by Dara Lyons for 14-3 to the visitors. A penalty apiece by O’Toole and Lyons brought up half time.


On the restart, scrum half Poland had a second try following break from a line-out. Graeme Lawler was a constant threat to the home side, and his break from half way in the 50th minute yielded a try for Liam O’Connell. And five minutes later, Darren Sweetnam finished a break from his own half by right wing Aaron Spring. Lyons added the conversions, and his clever chip was gathered by Quinlan for the sixth try in the 60th minute. Spring and Daniel Walsh scored further converted tries in the final ten minutes to see the holders emphatically into the next round. 


In the 2nd round on 14th November at Templehill, Constitution with meet Garryowen, who defeated Shannon 22-12, also today.


S.Kierans MAR

Con Players:

D.Sweetnam; A.Spring, L.O’Connell, R.Horgan, R.Jermyn; D.Lyons, J.Poland; G.Duffy, A.Slattery, G.Sweeney; C.O’Flaherty, S.O’Leary; G.Lawler, L.Cahill, M.Murphy. Replacements: L.O’Connor (3), M.Abbott, B.Hayes, J.Ryan (6), D.Walsh (7), T.Quinlan (11), J.Higgins (9).

Con Scorers:

C.O’Flaherty 1T; J.Poland 2T; L.O’Connell 1T; D.Sweetman 1T; T.Quinlan 1T; A.Spring 1T; D.Walsh 1T; D.Lyons 1P7C.

Highfield Players:

J.McLoughlin; S.Quaid, J.Cassidy, P.Stack, J.Sheehan; P.O’Toole, K.Foyle; D.O’Callaghan, C.Forde, C.Tuohy; M.O’Donnell-Fitzgerald, F.O’Sullivan; M.Murphy, M.O’Connell, M.Cronin. Replacements: D.O’Hea, D.Morris, C.Gallagher, M.Power, C.Bannon, G.Arthurs, K.Duggan.

Highfield Scorers:

P.O’Toole 2P.

Cork Constitution FC