Cork Con FC 1st XV 29 - 28 Dolphin
Venue: Temple Hill
Competition: Ulster Bank League Div.1A
Match Report:

Cork Constitution won a thrilling local derby at Temple Hill with a dramatic late comeback against a valiant and skilful Dolphin side. Five minutes into the second half it looked a lost cause for the home side as they trailed 5-22 to a rampant Dolphin team, who had scored three tries in as many minutes either side of the break. However, Constitution never gave up the challenge and scored four tries in the final 25 minutes to win by the narrowest margin. 

Sean Scanlon gave Con the lead in the 10th minute when he took Johnny Holland’s cross kick to score in the left corner, after Ivan Dineen’s break brought play inside the Dolphin half. Gerry Hurley and Holland both missed penalty chances for Con, before Barry Keeshan put Dolphin on the scoreboard with a penalty. In the 34th minute Robert Clune made a searing run on the left wing, but the cover caught him on the line. And then in the last minute of the half, John Quill scored for Dolphin after Chris Nolan broke on the right wing and Chris Condon set up Quill for the score. Keeshan converted, and Dolphin went in at the break with a 10-5 lead. 

From the kick off Dolphin attacked and Nolan scored wide out on the right; two minutes later and Quill got his second try in the left corner after again stretching the Con defence. Keeshan added the points to the second try for a remarkable 22-5 lead. Con hit back, and somehow Niall O’Driscoll knocked on after cutting through to the posts. But he was not denied in the 55th minute when he scored in the left corner.

Keeshan, however, dropped a goal and kicked a penalty in another period of Dolphin superiority to stretch their lead to 28-10. In the 63rd minute Con wisely scorned a penalty opportunity in front of the posts, and instead scored a try through Cathal Quinn, converted by Hurley to close the deficit to 17-28.

Entering the final 10 minutes both sides unloaded the bench as the pace reached fever pitch. Gerry Hurley took a quick penalty on the 22 metre line and scored at the posts, and converted, to close to four points. And then in the 81st minute Sean Scanlon got on the end of another Ivan Dineen break to score a the winner. The try was unconverted, but the re-start was delayed as Dolphin’s John Quill was stretchered from the field with a concussion injury, and in the final six minutes of play Con were able to control the play and take their dramatic victory with a bonus point.

Man of the Match:Ivan Dineen



Con Players:

S.Scanlon; C.Quinn, N.O’Driscoll, I.Dineen, R.Clune; J.Holland, G.Hurley Capt.; B.Cagney, A.Cudmore, John Ryan; B.Hayes, P.Donnellan; C.O’Flaherty, B.O’Hara, James Ryan.

Con Scorers:

S.Scanlon 2T; C.Quinn 1T; N.O’Driscoll 1T; G.Hurley 1T2C

Dolphin Players:

E.Mills; C.Bohane, E.Moloney, K.Lynch, H.Fleming; B.Keeshan, C.Bannon; J.Cronin, A.O’Driscoll, C.Condon; C.Rowe, D.O’Mahony; R.O’Herlihy, J.Quill, R.Murphy.

Dolphin Scorers:

J.Quill 2T; C.Nolan 1T; B.Keeshan 2P1D2C.

Cork Constitution FC